Andrew Earle Simpson was commissioned to write a chamber music in response to an art exhibit at the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art called Art in Roman Life: Villa to Grave. A work titled Tesserae: 5 Mosaics of Ancient Rome was premiered in April, 2004 in a Roman Villa constructed in the gallery of the Museum.
Andrew Simpson’s Tesserae: Six Mosaics of Ancient Rome was commissioned by the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art with support from the American Composers Forum and the Museum Loan Network. This project is called Rome or Bust! Special thanks to curator Jane Milosch, Executive Director Terence Pitts, Education Director Suanne Huffman, and the museum staff.
The Red Cedar Trio
• Feb 2-13, 2004 Two-week reidency at Polk Elementary School in Cedar Rapids featuring Tesserae by Andrew Early Simpson.
• April 14, 2004 (Wednesday). Educational event Rome or Bust!.
• April 14, 2004 (Wednesday) Rural Outreach Concert at Buck Creek Methodist Church, Buck Creek, IA.
• April 15, 2004 (Thursday) Rural Outreach Concert at Starlighters Theater in Anamosa, IA.
• April 16-17, 2004 (Friday-Saturday) Main-Stage Concert at the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art, Cedar Rapids, IA. Rome or Bust!
• April 17, 2004 (Saturday) A Family concert at the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art, Cedar Rapids, IA. Rome or Bust!
• October 3, 2009 (Saturday) Concert at Catholic University in Washington D.C.
• October 4, 2009 (Sunday) Concert at Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, MD.
Ecloghe (1966) Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco
“I consider you all excellent musicians. This was a particularly intriguing program.” M.M.
“ Enjoyed the concert immensely." J.C.
Copyright 2006 by Red Cedar Chamber Music. All rights reserved.
P.O. Box 154, Marion, Iowa 52302-0154 – Tel: 319-377-8028